Location: Covina, California
Number of Schools: 20
We have lots to celebrate!
Our work this year in C-VUSD has helped Instructional Leadership Teams implement high-quality instructional practices and leadership actions resulting in increased student achievement. During our January Year 3 ILT training, teams learned about tiered systems of support, schools engaged in passionate discussion regarding the goal to move at least 80% of the students to proficiency during first instruction. To address this challenge, C-VUSD implemented:
• Learning Walks in all schools focusing on implementation of identified best practices
• Principal Triads meeting at each other’s schools with central office support to walk through classrooms and provide feedback to one another.
In addition, our Focused Schools team reconfigured one month’s ILT training to include vertical teams of elementary, middle and high school feeder pattern. This work led to feeder school teams continuing to meet to align practices such as use of data trackers and goal setting protocols. The Northview group of schools even held an end of year celebration.
For students needing Tier 2 and Tier 3 support, kudos to Las Palmas Middle School. The ILT looked at the data following the January training and implemented a targeted math intervention for selected students. The CAASSP results came in May 29:
• 6th graders moved from 29.7% to 35.5% in the Standards Met/Exceeded category
• 7th graders moved from 34% to 34.7% in the Standards Met/Exceeded category
Drum Roll Please
• Las Palmas 8th graders started with the lowest math proficiency (25.5%) and are heading off to high school with a Standards Met/Exceeded score of 41% – a 15.5 point increase in CASSSP math!